Any fuel-burning appliance that is not properly installed or maintained can release carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a clear, odourless gas that is extremely poisonous. If inhaled in sufficient concentrations it can be fatal. It’s something that all homeowners should be aware of and take precautions to avoid.
Oil heating appliances have a very good safety record where carbon monoxide is concerned and is among the safest fuel choice for domestic use. However, while oil is a very safe fuel, it would be wrong to be complacent. Every carbon monoxide poisoning fatality is a tragedy. Regular servicing by an OFTEC registered technician will help minimise the risk of an incident occurring. It is also worth considering installing a carbon monoxide detector as an additional safety measure.
The symptoms of CO poisoning include tiredness, muscle pains, upset stomach, dizziness and headaches. If you think there is a carbon monoxide leak in your home, you should leave the property immediately and contact an OFTEC registered heating technician straight away. If you or anyone affected has these symptoms, get urgent medical attention from your GP or A&E department.
Find out more about carbon monoxide and what you can do to protect your family against it